Sunday, November 23, 2014

Wet Paper


 
The last 2 months have been rough. I took a new job back in September and have been working 70hrs ever since. It's a startup warehouse so there's a lot of kinks and processes that have to be worked out before things operate smoothly. I must say that I really like the company, enjoy my role in the warehouse, and love the people I work alongside... but damn... these hours are getting old. It just seems that there's no life outside of work right now. It's been really hard to find motivation to get out and run before/after work. I've been doing a lot of night runs comprised of city streets, walking paths and a small portion of singletrack...


But mostly living for the weekends... well... that one "off" day.


Though the long hours have suuuuuuuuuucked.... it has given me a little extra money to get a few fun things like a new headtorch, new shoes and some fresh ink.


I did get a chance to go up to Chattanooga one weekend and run the UpChuck 50k. That race is AMAZING. Point to point, low key, no frills, minimal aid, grass roots type of run. It will definitely be a race I do often.
 

I have taken full advantage of the days that I have gotten to play outside...

Catching sunrises...


Watching the changing colors of the season...


Straight chillen really...

 
 
This past weekend was no different. I escaped the warehouse on Saturday right at 4pm (which is the normal quitting time) and headed straight to the trailhead. It was eerily windy up on King's Chair as the world started getting dark... the rain and storms were rolling in...
 
 
Although it was supposed to storm and rain all day Sunday... I was determined to spend the entire day exploring.
 
 
It was refreshing. Being completely alone in the woods... splashing along foggy, wet trails...
 
 
Soaking wet and shivering I plopped down on a rock. I had been running for the past 3hrs in a constant downpour and needed a snack. I pulled a Cliff Bar out of my waist line and gazed into the foggy tree line. The past week had been the roughest work week I've had since I started...
 
 
I silently prayed to the sounds of the wind rustling the leaves and the soft pitter patter of rain drops on my hood. I looked down and my eye caught a white piece of paper tucked under a rock...
 
 
I unfolded the soaking wet paper...
 
 
Look around you.
Hear the leaves rustle.
Smell the natural scent of earth.
Listen for a bird... or a cricket...
Feel the kiss of the sun and the breath of the wind.

Be here. Now.
 
I slumped back against the rock. I can count on my hand the number of times God has spoken to me immediately. The stress from the previous week seemed trivial and slowly dissipated with the rain. I refolded the piece of paper and tucked it away back under the rock... praying it would speak to the next traveler in a special way.
 
As I descended down Shackleford out of the fog and into Maggie's Glenn... the sun revealed itself for the first time in days. The next 2.5hrs were gorgeously perfect...
 
 
Ultra running is a great metaphor for life... you're going to hit a low spot. It's inevitable. You just have to grit your teeth, find the silver lining and roll with it. Valleys don't last forever... guaranteed.

I have no clue who wrote that simple message... probably never will... but whoever you are... thank you. I needed it more than you will ever know.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment